Friday, April 20, 2012

Day 5 - Bruges, Atlantikwall, Antwerp

Day 5 – Bruges, Atlantikwall, leaving for Antwerp

Last night, I took TWO sleeping pills and then I slept very well.  I did have a nightmare about my blowing up a bank but otherwise, it was wonderful.  I feel much better today.  Sue and I woke up about 9:30 or so and went to breakfast.  We ate with the other six who were still in town and then Sue and I set off on a mission. Sue bought more chocolate and then bought a box at the post office and mailed some things home.  Then I bought a fan to have on the riverboat because that noise is helpful when I go to sleep. Next door was the chocolateir shop that one of the ladies recommended so we went there.  I bought chocolate – lots more than I should have probably, but the piece I tried was wonderful!!!! So, of course, the next stop was the post office again.  We mailed more chocolate and souvenirs home.  We’ve spent a lot on postage, but at least we don’t have to bother with it anymore or wonder how much space and weight it will add to our luggage. 

We then walked to the church with a Michelangelo statue.  The church was beautiful and I’m really glad we went.  We also got to see the catacombs that are protected by glass.  While we were in the church, we heard the rain and found out later that it was also hailing!!  I have missed snow and hail while here in Bruges!!  Dang it. We wandered back a new path and returned to the hotel.  I’ve spent time typing today and yesterday’s blog and uploading photos – that takes forever – and we are waiting on the trippers to return so that we can leave for Antwerp.  Linda thinks she may have lost her phone so she’s searching for that.  I think I’ll not be having lunch, but I just happen to have a little hunk of chocolate with nuts with me so I expect I’ll survive. 

Phyllis and Sarah MC got up early in the morning and left at 7:45 to tour the Atlantikwall which was the fortifications Germany set up to protect its western front. After a hour long bus ride, they viewed examples of bunkers, buildings, restored period furniture, equipment and weapons. They walked around listening to an audio program that told them what they were seeing at each site.  From there they traveled to the fishing village of Damme where they rode a boat back to Bruges.  The boat ride was very nice and they had a beer to make the trip more pleasant while they saw lots of mama and baby ducklings.  The weather was clear and warm.  There were lots of numerous stairs and low entrances to the various buildings.  They were both glad they went to this historical site and enjoyed the trip very much. 

About 30 minutes after that bus returned we left Bruges on a very crowded bus.  There was so much luggage that we had to put some of the large luggage inside the bus with us.  This was another hour or so bus ride to Antwerpt and Daniel talked about the history of Belgium and Holland.  Those of us in back kept watching Paula to see if she was going to fall out of her seat as she appeared ready to do – she kept trying to take a little nap until she would suddenly wake up again.  She never did fall out of the seat but there are other bus rides to come so there is still hope.   

We got to Antwerp in terrible traffic and then we got to the boat landing.  I have never seen so many tour buses in one place!!!  There was a large cruise ship here and at least one more riverboat and we had to walk across the other riverboat to get on to ours.  I didn’t expect the boat to be so fancy.  There is a lot of gold and crystal in the common areas.  Our rooms are located on the top floor right next to the reception desk so we are pretty much right in the middle between the lounge area and the dining room.  I think we are in a perfect location.  We had sandwiches, fruit and drinks when we arrived and then had an orientation meeting about safety and procedures, then supper at 7.

 We also got treated to an unusual sight.  A fireboat/tugboat put on a water display and they do this whenever a large ship leaves the port.  It was very impressive.

 It was all quite fancy.  Looks like they will be taking very good care of us on this boat.  Our cabin is plenty roomy and we have a balcony also.  Sue and I both got unpacked and got everything put up before the meeting began.  I also went up on the sun deck and as I walked by the wheelhouse – I guess that’s what I call it – I hesitated.  The man inside saw me looking uncertain and asked what he could do to help me.  I explained that I would like to tour the wheelhouse and he graciously invited me in, showed me how it all worked, then took my photo sitting in the captain’s chair.  Turns out he is the captain.  I really like how nice he was about it all. 

It’s now after 9 pm and we are back in our cabins and Sue and I are about ready for bed.  We had a very nice but long day and we have another long day tomorrow so we will hit the sack soon.  We will have a walking tour of Antwerp in the morning and then we can come back to the ship for lunch or we may remain in town for longer (possibly for shopping????).  We will set sail from Antwerp about 5 tomorrow evening so we do plan to be back on board by then.  I’m thinking that since Antwerp is a major city dealing with diamonds that my shopping may focus on getting me a diamond or two.  Maybe a photo of a diamond or two.  Time will tell.

1 comment:

  1. Received the 3 pics in today's blog...
    Nothing else yet...We'll keep trying
    as I'm sure y'all will..Thanks, Ted
    P.S. Hope the trip is still going well..Love, US

    ReplyDelete