Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 Bye, Bye Peugot



Tuesday, October 01, 2013  Bye, Bye Peugot

Today was a very different sort of day.  We did not. have plans to go anywhere, except to turn in the car in Oxford.  Most of us went to town to do our last shopping here – yes, there is still some merchandise left in the stores, or there was before today. Several of us visited Gary, the postmaster, again.  He has gotten to know us quite well. He even invited us to Christmas, think he wants us to bring him presents, on December 21.  Sue needed a box for some delicate package so Gary sent us down two doors to his wife’s shop and she helped tremendously in getting and wrapping a box.  I saw some items I had resisted yesterday but couldn’t resist them two days in a row.  Zoe, my granddaughter, is going to have lots of gifts, toys and books, from England for years to come, that’s for sure.

While I was in town, I got some Cotswold Ice Cream and it sure was good.  Perhaps not quite as good as Brusters, but I understand there are some people who don’t love Brusters – imagine that.  Several people have now had the ice cream and we all agree it’s good.

About 1:30 or so, I took everyone but Sue downtown for our last group ride in the car so they could have afternoon tea/lunch.  Some of the girls had cream tea, others cottage pie and steak pie and some had the roast beef and Yorkshire pudding.  




 Everyone really enjoyed their meals and tea. There was a little shopping done and then all the girls walked back to the cottage.

Meanwhile, Sue and I met up with Andrew Hope and we followed him to Oxford.  We both punched in the post code for Avis and it led us to a residential street.  Avis really needs to update its address and post code since it’s moved recently.  Andrew got out and asked directions from a man and these directions led up right to it.  Thank goodness.  I was sooooo happy to turn in the car.  We did not owe any money and we even get a refund because the car tank is full.  Whew.  All done.  What a relief.

I actually got to ride in the back seat – it was neat.  Andrew gave us suggestions for what all to see and do in London and we now have quite a long list – probably the list is longer than the time we have in which to do it all.  We made our way back to Welcome Cottage and the girls were back from the lunch.  Since then, it’s been a relaxing day.  We’ve discussed London and room assignments in the hotel and just stuff. 

I did wander down to the antique store that Sue found earlier and I loved everything in there.  Unfortunately, I couldn’t afford to buy it all.  However, I did buy two teapots, one made in the 1930’s and the other in about 1903.  




 I also found my place setting of china from this trip.  I have brought back a place setting from most of the trips I’ve taken and the one from England will be older – the man said it was from before 1925 and I find that interesting. 

Sue and I didn’t have a lunch today so we went back to the Kingsbridge Inn and had more beef and Guinness pie.  I think this was the best yet.  You just can’t really beat good pub grub!!!  The others are fixing and eating dinner from the food in the fridge. 

Some of the girls already have their suitcases packed and downstairs ready to go.  Mine are pretty much packed, except for the antiques I bought today, but I’ll wait til in the morning to bring them all the way down those flights and flights of stairs. 

Soon it will be time to clean out the fridge and sleep our last sleep at Welcome Cottage.  It’s certainly been a wonderful home away from home for the last two weeks.  



No comments:

Post a Comment